Keywords
Collection #
Collection Name Collection #
Author Date
Description
Microfilm Number
Series Number

St. John's Church Collection

MSA SC 2634
Dates1787-1963
MediumMicrofilm
RestrictionsNo restrictions
StorageMicrofilm only
Film Number(s)SCM 855 - SCM 857
Description
St. John's Church, St. John's Parish, Protestant Episcopal, Washington County, Hagerstown, South Prospect Street: parish registers 1816-1863; vestry minutes 1787-1873, 1930-1963.
History
St. John's Church was established in 1787 when a small congregation meeting in the county court house elected a vestry. A brick church was soon built, located on Mulberry Street between Antietam and Baltimore Streets. In 1821, a lot on Jonathan Street was purchased for the construction of a new church. This structure was damaged by fire in 1866 or 1867 and repaired, but another fire in 1871 completed destroyed the building. By 1875, a new church, located on the corner of Prospect and Antietam Streets was completed.

The graveyard located at the site of the original church is preserved by the congregation.

For additional information, see Maryland Historical Records Survey, Inventory of the Church Archives of Maryland. Protestant Episcopal: Diocese of Maryland (Baltimore: Maryland Historical Records Survey, November 1940), pp. 206-207.


Microfilm Inventory
Microfilm Series

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website


[ Archives' Home Page ||  Maryland Manual On-Line ||  Reference & Research
Search the Archives ||  Education & Outreach ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]


Governor    General Assembly    Judiciary    Maryland.Gov   


© Copyright December 06, 2022 Maryland State Archives