Collection #
Collection Name Collection #
Author Date
Microfilm Number
Series Number

Church of St. Leo the Great Collection

MSA SC 2698
RestrictionsRESTRICTED: Post 1940 baptisms are restricted. Written permission from the church required for access. See Registrar for further information
StorageMicrofilm only
Film Number(s)SCM 3275 - SCM 3285
Church of St. Leo the Great, Archdiocese of Baltimore, Roman Catholic, Baltimore City, 227 S. Exeter Street: baptisms (Italian) 1881-1896; baptisms (Irish) 1882-1902; baptisms 1896-1982; marriages 1874-1982; deaths 1874-1886, 1906-1907, 1953-1982; interments 1887-1905, 1910-1953; first communions 1913-1981; confirmations 1883-1981.
The recently arrived Italian immigrants within the boundaries of the parish of St. Vincent de Paul were assigned to the care of an assistant, Father Joseph Leo Andreis. Separate books for baptisms and marriages were kept for them beginning in 1874. Seven years later, Father Andreis became the first pastor of the new parish, St. Leo the Great, carved out of the southern boundaries of St. Vincent de Paul. For the next decade separate registers were kept by Father Andreis for the "Italian" and "Irish" members of his congregation. By the mid-1890s, the remaining congregation was exclusively Italian.

Collection Inventory
Series 1: Miscellaneous
Microfilm Inventory
Microfilm Series

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website

[ Archives' Home Page ||  Maryland Manual Online ||  Reference & Research
Search the Archives ||  Education & Outreach ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor    General Assembly    Judiciary    Maryland.Gov   

© Copyright September 19, 2019 Maryland State Archives