Collection #
Collection Name Collection #
Author Date
Microfilm Number
Series Number

Abingdon Charge Collection

MSA SC 4017
RestrictionsNo restrictions
StorageMicrofilm only
Film Number(s)SCM 4245 - SCM 4250
Abingdon Charge, United Methodist, Baltimore Annual Conference, Baltimore East District, Harford County. Collection includes records of Cokesbury Memorial Church, East Harford Circuit, Abingdon United Methodist Charge, Cokesbury Memorial United Methodist Cemetery, Calvary United Methodist Church, and Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church.
Until 1980 Cokesbury Memorial and Calvary shared the East Harford Circuit with Smith Chapel. Recordsof East Harford Circuit have been filmed by the Maryland State Archives and as a consequence some records are duplicated here. The earliest records for the circuit are found on microfilm M 1132 and M 1133.

In 1980 the Baltimore Conference established the Abingdon Circuit with Cokesbury and Calvary the constituent parts. Smith's Chapel, near Churchville, became a separate station.

The Reverend R. Denis Schultz has written a history of Cokesbury Memorial Church, the parent congregation of Cokesbury College which stood near it from 1785-1795. On July 3, 1784, John Paca sold the land surrounding the new meeting house to the trustees for the use of the people called Methodists. The Christmas Conference of 1784 voted to build Cokesbury College, next to the Abingdon Church. On June 5, 1785, Bishop Asbury laid the cornerstone for the College building.

In 1841 Abingdon Church obtained the surrounding land for its use. In 1896 a new chapel was built on the foundation of the old chapel. In 1940 the name was changed to Cokesbury Memorial Methodist Church.

Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed on land given by the Richard Webster in 1821. Webster, Sr. was the first clergyman of Smith Chapel. From time to time Smith Chapel shared East Harford Circuit with Rock Run, Bush, Gunpowder, Abingdon, Garretson, and Calvary.

Collection Inventory
Series 1: Miscellaneous
Microfilm Inventory
Microfilm Series

This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website

[ Archives' Home Page ||  Maryland Manual On-Line ||  Reference & Research
Search the Archives ||  Education & Outreach ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor    General Assembly    Judiciary    Maryland.Gov   

© Copyright June 20, 2024 Maryland State Archives